Friday, March 20, 2020

We've moved into new territory - California is on lockdown except for essential businesses.  Which means for me - life goes on close to the same.  Alex and I both work for the bank, which is an essential business.  Ralph already pulled Alli out of daycare, so we will probably loose his extra help in the afternoons, but he was already 'sheltering in place'.  I have the freezers full, the refrigerators full, the pantry full, and am stocked up on paper products (and no - I'm not one of "those" people.  I have one extra package of toilet paper on hand, not a year's supply!  The paper products that I worry about are diapers for Alli!)  I have a good 2-4 week supply of just about everything except fresh foods - meat, milk, yogurt, cheese, veggies, etc., and fresh foods can be done without - I have frozen or canned.  Deep breath - we will get through this.  The biggest issue is to keep the virus away from Ralph and Alli - Ralph because of his underlying health issues, and Alli because it's a pain when she's sick (and can spread it to Ralph).

Work will continue to evolve - we are working on getting everyone set up to 'work from home' (WFH - not to be confused with WTF....though in many cases they are interchangeable...).  I have one person in my department getting a laptop next week, so I spent most of my wakeful hours last night (why do I wake up at 2:00 a.m. and not be able to go back to sleep???) designing a work-flow process for the department that includes WFH changes to our current procedures.  I should be able to take today off - I've already put in a full day's work last night!  (Now to convince my boss about that....)

In preparation for this new normal......I got more fabric and a new pattern!  (Of course I did!  I have 3 quilt kits on hand, multiple patterns and projects ready to start, but just in case......)  I've always wanted to try the Mondo Bag, and found a pattern for it at the quilt store this week, so got the pattern and stopped by Joann's for a jelly roll of fabric.  I haven't used jelly rolls much, and thought they would be another element of fun for this, and so far, I like it!  The colors are a range of turquoise to purple to pink.




Here's what the Mondo Bag can look like - mine is not going to be organized into color stripes, but instead is pretty random (kind of like life right now???)


In reality, my life will probably stay close to the same, and sewing/quilting is low on my priorities for this weekend.  The grass needs to be mowed, the weeds need to be sprayed, the garden needs to be cleaned out, leaves need to be picked up, the house REALLY needs to be cleaned (my house cleaner already started sheltering in place a few weeks ago - I'm back to doing it myself.)

No comments: