Monday, September 09, 2019

We made it!  Dave and his girlfriend Marlette joined AJ and me for a hike up Mt. Lassen.  It was a beautiful day - a little chilly at the start, but I had my jacket off after the first switchback.  (I also had to take my first "photo op" breather after the first switchback.  Good thing there was a tree there.....)

 




This about a mile into the hike - the trail is 2.5 miles, all up hill.







If you look very closely, you can see people up at the top of this - that's not even the top of the mountain....
 

We did see a couple of chipmunks, lots of grasshoppers, butterflies, and birds.




You can see my car!!!   


Marlette is as bad as I am about taking pictures....



During one of my 'photo op' breaks, we watched the crows.  The grasshoppers were jumping all over the place, and the crows were grabbing them when they went out onto the snow (easier to see???)





The clouds started coming in- and we were above most of them - pretty cool to see!




A panoramic photo from the top.






Funny thing - I didn't take many pictures on the way down....no need for a 'photo op' break.  After the hike, we headed to Lake Helen for a picnic lunch - fried chicken, potato salad, pasta salad, chips, and for dessert, Marlette brought me birthday cupcakes - though they forgot the candles.  (Thank goodness - the last thing I needed was to start a forest fire by lighting enough candles on a cupcake for my birthday!!).  My view at lunch:


No comments: