Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I ended up with a fairly productive day after all yesterday.  I lounged around the house with Mom and Alli all morning - baking a batch of scones was about as productive as I got.  Mom went home around noon or so, and then I cleaned up the house a bit, took Alli with me to work and finished up a project I needed to get done last week, came home and sewed a bit.  

I am very happy with the quilt blocks I made yesterday.  I have four blocks to make this month for my Quilt club (not to mention finishing up the two quilts I have started), and I was a bit intimidated by just cutting out the material.  They are little tiny pieces!  And then, it took me a while to get my gauge correct.  Somehow, my needle got moved out of the 'center' position and was moved to the right (I had forgotten that it could even do that!).  I was sewing with the edge of the material in the correct place, but I was getting a seam that was too narrow.  (And of course, I didn't notice because I was sewing along like normal...)  I had the center part of the block on the left done, and it didn't measure out correctly.  I had to rip everything out, and start all over again.  Then, I found out I put the wrong pieces with the wrong block - when I was making the blue block, I had pieces that were too long, and I thought I had just cut the pieces wrong, so I trimmed them to the size I needed.  When I got to the red block, I found out that I needed the longer pieces for it - the ones that that I had just trimmed!  Bummer!  Luckily, I did have enough extra fabric to re-cut the brown pieces.  Then....I couldn't sew them together correctly - it took three tries.  Finally - I got this much done yesterday.  Just think what I could have done if I had been paying attention from the very beginning!  I did get to use the new (to me) paper piecing method for the small blocks on top - and my points match up!  Woohoo!!!


I hope to sew some more today - I have the day off, and I just put Alli on the bus.  The blocks above are 5 1/2 inches, and the completed block will be 7 1/2 inches, so I still have some work to do on them, as well as finish the centers for the two other blocks.  I also have a spa treatment booked for 11:45 today.  The ladies in my department gave me a spa treatment for Christmas, and this is the first time I've been able to block the time to go.  I'm looking forward to it, whatever it is (it is the Holiday Feet and Body Treatment - no description given.)

No comments: