Monday, January 13, 2014

Here's what I came up with for book club this month.  The book is "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox" - which is a very good book, but....I didn't come up with a single 'image' that I thought I could crochet to represent the book.  There are lot of things that are visual images, but....nothing I thought I could crochet.  So........they got a 'winter themed' bookmark - ice skates!



I think they turned out pretty darn cute!  I do need to make a few more if I want to pass them out at work as well.  We'll see how that goes.  The one on the bottom right is the first one that I made and then I 'refined' the pattern a bit.  All of the patterns I saw on-line used yarn, and the dimensions we off when I did it in thread.  A bit of tweaking, and much better!

I watched half of a very bad play yesterday.  Malorie is part of the local theatre group, and she and a friend had volunteered to work the bar (beer and wine) at a play that was written by another member of the theatre (and his wife was the star....does that give you a hint?)  Her friend bailed on her (she probably heard the reviews of the play!) and Mal asked if I could help her out.  I worked the bar at opening, and sat through half the play, and served at intermission.  (We sold a lot more drinks at intermission!)  If I hadn't read a synopsis in the paper before I went, I would have been completely lost.  As it was, I was just confused.  I think the writer found every one-liner joke/pun that he could and put them all in the play, whether they fit or not.  (Hint - comedy is all in the timing.  Run-on jokes loose their appeal.)  Malorie's husband was filming the play for them, and he was as confused as I was.  The actors kept forgetting their lines, so they would just say some from somewhere in the play, which meant they repeated them selves a couple of times.  Luckily, I got to leave after intermission.  Poor Malorie had to stay (and she had worked it Thursday night, so it was a 'repeat performance' for her.)

The good news - the proceeds of the play are a complete donation to the building fund for the theatre group, and as such, Malorie and I 'donated' bank time for it (the bank gets brownie points for us being involved in the community) and ....we may just make the newspaper.  The Record Searchlight was there taking pictures for the 'about town' section.  Since Malorie and I are so cute, I'm sure we'll make it in the paper!!

No comments: