Sunday, April 04, 2010

What a weekend! The weather didn't exactly cooperate with my plans, but - I'm flexible! My original plans called for a trip to Susanville after work on Friday (the bank closes at 1:00 on Good Friday), but...it was raining cats and dogs in Redding, and the traffic cameras were showing a build-up of snow on the highway, so....we'll go up on Saturday instead! Saturday morning, the road conditions called for chains up until about 9:30, so Alli and I went to town and did our normal Saturday shopping, and then around 10:00, we left for Susanville.

The wildflowers on the way up were gorgeous! This shot is from the Millville plains area.


The roads were pretty clear, with a few spots of slush on the road.



And then.....Alli and I pull up on a wreck just this side of McCoy Flats.



What is it about people and helping at a wreck? When I pulled up, the car was already on its side, and people were standing around it. When I parked and got out and walked over, the driver was climbing out of his window. No one stepped up to help him out of his car! I walked up, just like usual, bumbled right in, and climbed down to help him out, and then someone else stepped up to help me help him out! The driver was uninjured, so it was just a matter of getting a tow truck, etc. One of the other bystanders had already called 911, so by the time the guy got out, help was on the way.

A trucker (bless him - I didn't get his name, or the company he worked for, but he was wonderful!!) provided a hazard triangle for us to place at the top of the hill. My RAV with its hazard lights on was good for the traffic going east, but the west bound traffic needed a warning, because they were topping a hill right before the wreck. When I went up to place the triangle, everyone else left, so I stayed with the driver. It was amazing how many people stopped (or slowed down at least) to make sure everyone was okay, and we didn't need help. I don't think there was a car that didn't check as they drove by - I was giving them a thumb's up sign as they approached, so they would know everything was okay. After about 15 minutes, a snow plow from CalTrans came by. He couldn't move the car, but he did have a radio, and was in contact with CHP (who were already on the way). CHP was about 5 minutes behind CalTrans, so I was released to go on my way.




No comments: