Monday, July 04, 2022

It's official - the AC is dead in the guest house...I started a repair though AHS - my home warranty company - the first part of May, when it first started warming up.  Two months and $600.00 later, the contractor on the job ghosted me and AHS, so they had to assign a new contractor.  Part of the $600.00 was for Freon, because my warranty doesn't cover the replacement costs for Freon, so I paid to have a leak fixed and re-filled with Freon, and...it still didn't work.  When the original contractors turned it on after "fixing" the leak, the compressor blew.  He left, saying he was calling AHS and they would get back to me......and then didn't return phone calls.

Skip forward through the required time needed for AHS to try to contact him, and they sent me a new contractor - after waiting another two weeks to get on their schedule.  When the new contractor showed up, we discovered that the first contractor had not put the unit back together - all the wiring was off the unit.....  Why???  Needless to say, the new contractor refused to "rebuild" the unit - not only is it old, it probably still has a leak, the compressed is probably dead, and the wiring is gone.....they are done, so....in a couple of months I'll have a brand new AC....at my cost of $4,000 (AHS is picking up the rest - the last quote I got was for $12,000).  For the interim, I bought a portable AC unit (another $500) so I can continue to work....it did a pretty good job when we were 107, so....it's a temporary fix at least, and an expensive summer.



No comments: