Sunday, October 14, 2012

I got a little bit of motivation at my quilt club yesterday.  I hadn't done any more work on the 'new' quilt at all - I just had the center part done (from July), and at the meeting yesterday, I could have had a completed quilt if I had applied myself.  lucky for me, I didn't!  This quarter's quilt is a table runner in fall colors, but......if it is made by the pattern, it is too wide for most tables.  Not wide enough to completely cover a table, but too wide for a runner.  (Of course, I hadn't noticed that part because I hadn't gotten that far!)  Most of the quilts that were finished were not done like the pattern.  I found out that it will be a much better table runner if I don't follow the instructions.  What a thought!  I don't know that I would have tried it on my own - I'm not quite ready to stray too far from the written instructions yet, but after looking at what the more experienced quilters did, I'm ready!!!  I actually finished cutting out my pieces yesterday afternoon, and got about a quarter of the way finished with sewing them.  the end is in sight!  (Of course, I also picked up material for the next quilt yesterday - now I'm seriously behind!!)

I also picked up a pattern for a purse yesterday.  It is quilted, (using a really cool technique/material to puff the fabric!) and uses a zipper, and it has a ton of pockets in it.  I love it, but I'm not sure I'm a good enough seamstress to make it.  Mom?  What 'cha doin'?  Busy???  :)  I plan to go in next week and shop for the fabric/notions for it.  I didn't have time on Saturday to do much shopping.  It is also the case of seeing the pattern made up is so much better than the photo on the pattern.  I would never have picked the pattern up to do anything with.  The colors are just 'not me' and I would have walked right by it.

Last night was Ralph's 40th High School Reunion.  One of the organizers we talked to said they expected about 70 people there, and I think that was about right.  We met up with Jeff and Joyce, and Randy and Laurie at outside when we arrived, and hung out with them for the evening.  The room was a little crowded for that many people, and even though they said they expected 70, I don't think they set up tables and chairs for 70.  It was extremely close seating.  Then we got up to get our food (buffet line food - yuck!) someone else sat at our table.  We were able to get them to move down a bit (and it took us asking 3 times!!!) for us to get all of back into our table.  It was nice to chat with Joyce and Laurie.  The guys were out and about chatting for a bit, but we left around 9:15 or so - not the liveliest crowd!  I think Ralph had fun, and I don't think he aged as much as a lot of people in the class.  Some of them got OLD!  

Here's a little bookmark I finished up Friday night.  I gave it to Meredith yesterday at the quilting meeting.


No comments: