Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy 4th of July!  I'm enjoying a day off from work, and will be enjoying a wonderful BBQ at Larry and Pat's later today.  Other than that, I have no plans for the day!  I thought about working on my quilt, and that may happen yet, but so far today.....I'm relaxing!  I need to go whip up some salads to take to the BBQ, but that is all that I HAVE to do today.

Monday morning, Alli's bus didn't come.  I was almost expecting it.  On Friday, her bus driver told me it was her last day driving for the summer.  Since a lot of the 'summer staff' just work half the session (Alli's aides are doing that too) I didn't really think too much about it, but....in the back of my mind something started asking "Was she really splitting the session with another driver?"  The answer was "no".  The bus is usually here by 6:50.  At 7:00, I call Transportation.  When I said that Alli's morning bus hadn't come, and asked what the status was, I was told that they didn't have Allison scheduled for a bus.  Odd, she's had one everyday for the last two weeks.  "No, ma'am, she isn't on our schedule.  We haven't been busing her."  Even odder.  "Did you tell Katie that?  She's been here every day at 6:50 to pick her up and take her to Anderson High School".  "Ma'am, the only student we have at Anderson is an Allison, and she is on Debbie's bus, and Debbie doesn't leave the bus barn until after 7:30, so I know she hasn't been picked up at 6:50."  "Guess what - that is MY Allison that goes to Anderson, and she rides Debbie's bus in the afternoon, but she rides Katie's bus in the morning to Anderson, since school starts at 7:30."  Long pause....."Let me call you right back."  Sure.  Whatever.  I can tell it isn't going to be a good Monday!


I did get a call back, and they did mess up and we will have a bus for her - can I wait until around 8:00 for Debbie to pick her up?  That would be a 'no'.  How about I just take her to school today, and  you can work on a pick up for tomorrow?  I was already stressed, since I wanted (needed?) to be at work early.  Taking Alli to school would put me in to work right on time, which would be late!  Ralph volunteered to take Alli for me (Thank you!) and I got to work later than I had planned, but early than  I expected.  I should have come in at 6:00 (and worked up 9:00 p.m.?)!  It was not the best Monday by a long shot.  I did get a call from Transportation, and they did get a bus arranged for Allison for the rest of summer school, and they would be here at the same time, 7:10.  Really?  The 'same time' was 6:50, but....I'm not arguing, I'll take it!  


On Tuesday, when the bus came, the driver was said that he had been expecting a call.  He had been told on Friday that it was his last day.  Since he knew that most of his "kids" still had school, he was a bit puzzled, but...what could he do?  You get told not to show up, you don't show up.  Katie's bus had mainly young children, and his had mainly teenagers.  I think the elementary schools were done with summer school, and Transportation thought they were done, too!  The new driver is nice - he has been a temp driver before, so he's met Allison, which helps set my mind at ease.   The 7:10 pickup isn't the best for me, especially this week (the first of the month,and I have staff out on vacation) but is till work.  I stayed until 6:40 last night to try to catch up, and went directly to the scout meeting.  I thought seriously about going in today, but....not going to do it!  I'll take today off, and see how the rest of the week goes.

No comments: