Sunday, September 17, 2017

I spent last week in San Diego for a LaserPro conference - very informative, and, like most trips, had its ups and downs.  I tried posting to the blog from my e-mail while I was there, but it wasn't the most successful post.  I could e-mail pictures in, but the text didn't go through, and I don't have access to my e-mail on my Kindle, so....I need to work on that more.

The trip down was uneventful - flying our of Sac to San Diego is a pretty quick flight.  I did get one photo from the air.....


The hotel wasn't the greatest, but the staff was exceptional - I swear if you stood still too long somewhere, someone was asking if you needed help (no, just trying to remember where I was going.....) The layout was a bit confusing, but mostly, it was just me.  I had a little balcony that overlooked the pool area, and the weather was perfect for sitting outside.


Thursday evening, I was out on the balcony enjoying the weather, and decided to go grab some dinner.  I had noticed emergency vehicles across the street from the hotel, but figured there was an accident or something on I-8.  Nope.   When I came into the room, I noticed that a piece of paper had been slid under the door.  The 'accident' that I saw was actually a ruptured water pipe, and the hotel had no water.  Bummer!  Oh well, they'll fix it, and I'll get dinner later.  I turned on the news, and there was a view from a helicopter that looked very familiar.  Yep, there was an aerial shot of the view from my window.  

It wasn't "just a water pipe" that ruptured, it was a water main, and I-8 was closed, due in part to water, but also because there was now a huge sink-hole. There had been three other line breaks that day, and they think that this break was caused by the pressure from the other breaks.  Not a good day for the water company!  Maybe they wouldn't get it fixed as fast as I thought!  Bummer!  The whole "Hotel Circle" was out of water, which meant no restaurants in the vicinity were open either.  I did have the option of going out for dinner, but, since I had had a large lunch (thanks to the conference - they kept us well fed) I wasn't that hungry.  I always bring snacks with me when I travel, so I was forced to have a dinner of cookies. So sad!


I also did my first Uber trip - I hooked up with a lady from Arkansas and went to Mission Beach (both of us were nervous about trying Uber by ourselves - we've heard the "don't accept a ride from strangers" too many times, I think.  We walked and talked for about 3 hours, I think, and then went back to the hotel for dinner.We both got some good photos.  I do love the beach in Southern California.....








No comments: