Sunday, September 13, 2015

Book club is Wednesday, and I finished the bookmarks!  We read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood this month - intriguing, but not my favorite.  It had a nice twist at the end, and I wanted the book to continue (one of the signs of a good book, personally), so it was worth the read.  The bookmarks are a bit odd, I will admit.  They are supposed to represent a woman in a red cape (The Handmaids were required to wear red capes, shoes, etc. in the story)  Not a bad representation, but...I wish I could have found a better symbol for the book.  It was a challenge to design though, which is what I was looking for.  


Here's the cover of the book:


I have the baby quilt I was working on all done except hand-sewing the binding down.  I had a little help putting the sandwich together,



I also have all the blocks done for the baby afghan I started in January!  Baby Nicholas is 3 1/2 months old, but....it is a very heavy afghan,and he doesn't need one in Redding now.  Here's the layout for it - now I have to weave in end (yuck!) and put it together,  I don't think it will need much of a border on it - even a simple shell could be too much for it.


I finished up the last block yesterday up at Dave's.  He had a rock sale/BBQ with the local Rockhound Club.  He decided that he doesn't want to move the tons (literally) of rocks that he has collected, and sold some.  He knows several people in the Rockhound Club, so they had their monthly meeting at his house, he BBQ'ed hot dogs and hamburgers, and sold 12 or so crates of rocks.  He still has 'several' crates left, but one of them managed to find its way into the back of the RAV,

The BBQ was fun - the rock group is an interesting mix of characters.  I'm hoping Dave joins up with them - he and Lisa love their rocks and rock-hunting, and this would give him a nice little social touch as well,  All of them were very nice - a few were a bit odd, but in a nice way.  Nothing boring about them, which made for a fun evening.  Kind of make me wish I was around more often for their rock hunting.....

No comments: