Tuesday, July 08, 2014

What happens when you have a project that doesn't require a specific length and no counting, and lots of time sitting around the kitchen table talking?  A very large bag.....


I made this up at Mom's this weekend.  The only counting required was the very first row, and the rows for the base.  After that, it was just around and around until it was 'big enough'.  I think it is....big enough that is.  We sat at the kitchen table and chatted most of my visit (or out on the patio) so I went 'round and round' a lot.  Since this type of bag stretches as you put stuff in, I won't be able to lift it if I actually fill it up.

AJ and I went to Shasta Caverns yesterday - we had a private tour.  The tours leave every half hour, and we showed up at 10 minutes until 11:00.  "If you hurry down to the lake, you can still catch the boat." she says......so hurry we did.  All the way down to the lake, which turns out to be over a quarter mile lower than 'usual' because of the drought.  Which means, by the way, that we have to walk back up, too.  We got down to the lake, and....we were the only ones on the boat besides the staff.  I think that threw our cave guide off.  They had over 4,000 visitors the prior weekend, and he seemed to have a hard time just talking to the two of us, since he was so used to talking to 40 people at a time (the max number on a tour).

At one point of the tour, we could go into the side cave, look up, and see the original metal ladder left by the first explorers - but we could only go three at a time into the cave.  Really?  There are only two of us, can we go two at a time??  He laughed at his faux pas and said no, it must be three at a time, so he would go with us, just to keep to the rules.  He laughed at himself a lot after that, catching himself making comments for a crowd, when it was just us.










Our guide was kind enough to take a picture of us in the cathedral room.



I even got some sewing done yesterday.  I got my quilt blocks caught up to last month - so now I'm just a month behind.  I will probably get started on this month's blocks today - I don't think we are going to try to do anything today.  Also on my to-do list are bookmarks for book club - a week from tomorrow.  I haven't finished the book (and probably won't) so I am going for red, white, and blue bookmarks.  We'll see how it goes.

I haven't been able to arrange the kayak tour on the lake yet, so that is out for today.  You need to make reservations, and the phone line doesn't open until 9:00, with the tour at 9:30 - and we are too far away to make it up to the lake by that time (not to mention AJ is still sleeping).  I'm going to try for an evening group - that way we can go even if I'm not on vacation.  The evening tours start at 5:30.  AJ and I are planning to go to Lassen tomorrow - that gives him a chance to work out today (he missed it yesterday to hang out with me).  My plan is to take up a lunch and have a picnic - we'll see how that turns out.

No comments: