Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rain, rain, rain!  It's a good thing we are getting the rain, but....I'm already tired of it.  We've gotten 2 inches of rain in this storm, and I think it all came when I was getting in and out of the car, or walking in to Walmart, etc.  According to the paper today, we are still very far below normal - somewhere around 10 inches below normal for this time of year.  The radio said yesterday that the storms are continuing through the weekend, and the snow level is dropping to 900 feet on Saturday.  Guess when I was going to be going to Susanville?  You got it - Saturday.  I've cancelled the trip - no need to try to drive in the storm.  Even if it isn't as bad as they say it is, it sounds like more than I want to drive through just for a visit.

I'm one more step closer to finishing my quilt.  I went in Monday to the quilt store and got the backing fabric, and yesterday I got the 'stuffing' for it.  I guess since I cancelled my trip to Susanville, I will be figuring out how to do it without Mom's help - bummer!  Thank goodness for the internet.  Someone out there has instructions for me - probably even a video or two.  I'm not as clueless as I sound - I do remember seeing my mom's and sister's quilts in the midst of construction, even my grandmother's quilts that she had on a huge rack.  I've just never done it myself, and seeing something done is a whole lot different than doing it yourself.  Good thing this is my 'learning quilt'!

Yesterday, I got my first organic veggie shipment from Churn Creek Meadows Organic Farms.  They deliver a big box of produce to the bank for me - whenever I want - what a thought! (their website is www.ccmof.com)  They have several options, and I chose the all veggie one.  I may switch out to the combination veggie/fruit box next time - we'll see.  Right now, I have it set up for every other week, and how can you beat free delivery right to your work??  Here is what I got in my box for $25.00:






What fun!  Alli and I had a salad last night with the mixed greens and red lettuce, and I added some of the snap peas to mine, along with some other veggies I already had.  Yum!  I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with that huge leek though.  I've never cooked one before.  Luckily, the box comes with recipes for some of the more unusual veggies - this time it had a Leek, Carrot and Onion soup recipe.  I might be trying that this weekend.  It also had a recipe for Brussel sprouts that sounded tasty.  Always a new adventure at my house!  (I just have to lie to AJ and tell him, yes, he's had this before and yes, he liked it - the guy still doesn't like try new foods!)

No comments: