Monday, June 30, 2008

Once again - you can't trust Dad to babysit Allison! He was so proud of himself, too! The kids and I went up to Susanville for Mom's birthday, and, once again, Mom was showing me her garden (and putting up her new trellis that she got for her birthday) and I had AJ run in and check on Alli once or twice. She was doing fine -watching TV. I went in to check on her, and when I went into the house, I noticed Dad was sitting on the couch, reading the paper. Great, I thought, Dad's been watching her, so everything is fine! Then, I noticed that she had something in her lap. As I watched, she dipped her fingers into the open butter container. Oh no! "Dad - weren't you watching Alli?" I asked. Without even looking up from his paper, he replied" Yes, I'm watching her - she's fine!" Dad had averted one issue with Alli, and so thought he was safe. This time, I had Alex take a quick picture of Alli for me while I was cleaning her up. Yes, that is butter on her nose, as well as around her mouth. She hadn't had the container very long, so she hadn't made a big mess - yet!

I think it was a good thing we canceled the hike. I was wondering, when I went over to Susanville, if it had really been necessary. The air was pretty clear up that high. I took a picture of Lassen from the lookout above Hat Creek. It was smoky, but not anything like down in the valley.
Then, on the way home from Ssuanville, I stopped for another picture. Same location, same trees to give you a feel for the picture. I had to use the same frame so I knew where Lassen was supposed to be.
It got really bad in the afternoon! I could smell the smoke while I was driving, with the air conditioner on. (I think I will be smelling smoke for weeks after the fires are put out!)
There were some pretty flowers at the lookout - red, white and blue!

No comments: