Monday, February 18, 2008

Yesterday, Alli decided that is was time to go swimming. I don't know if it was because I had been out back most of the morning, going in and out of the pool area (planting some pansies) or what, but she wanted to go swimming. Since I had checked the chemicals in the pool (gathering water about a foot below the surface) I knew that the water was too cold for her, but...if she wanted to get in, not a problem for me! Rather than put her in a suit (knowing she was not going to get wet) I just took her socks and pants off and walked her over to the steps. She put one foot in the water and spent the next few seconds trying to figure out how to get out of there without getting her other foot wet too! She doesn't have the leg strength to step up backwards out of the pool, so there was no way she could get out without getting her other foot wet. She thought about it for a long time though! She finally put her other foot in, turned around and I helped her out. She then tried "testing" the water with her toe to see if it warmed up - quite a trick for her - she doesn't quite have the dexterity, balance or leg strength, but she tried! When the water at the steps was still too cold, she walked around to the other side of the pool to see if it was warmer over there. She finally gave up and let me take her back out of the pool area, but she really wanted to swim yesterday! I wish I had my camera with me, just to catch the expression on her face as she was trying to figure out how to get out of that cold water!

No comments: