Sewing machine 2 - Deni 0. Not the best day for sewing, I'm afraid. I was hoping that since I had a day off, I would get a couple of projects done. It started out well - Alli got off to school a little after 7:00, I started a load of laundry, played a few games on the computer, and then settled down to finish up the quilt for Steve (the weeding is the 29th - I think I'm in trouble!)
Things were going well, but I was having issues trying to move the quilt around on my smallish machine. After a few tussles with it, I noticed that there seemed to be something wrong with my stitches. All of a sudden, my stitches looked .... odd. I had moved one of the controls on the machine to a slight zigzag. Time to rip out. Bummer. Not long after that, my thread started breaking. Every few inches. For no reason I could see. My tension looked good, the machine was threaded correctly. I was out of ideas and patience.
Thank goodness for Google. The first site that popped up said to check to make sure the machine was threaded correctly (it was - I had re-threaded it like 30 times already!) and then next to check the needle. I pulled my needle out, and it was slightly bent (probably from me tugging all that material around). Eureka!!! I changed the needle, and sat back down to sew. For about 6 inches, and then the thread broke again. ARGHHHH!
My next thought was that it was because of the thickness of all the material, so I decided to test it out on the regular quilt blocks I had to work on. It seemed to work just fine for the blocks......until I had the block competed, and realized that it was the wrong size. Finally, the light bulb lit up. Not only had I hit the zigzag button while moving all the material around, I had moved the needle from center to the left, so my seam was off by an eighth of an inch - which made my block about a half inch too small over all, and....I'm thinking that the extra strain from the different angle was causing the thread to break too. I reset all the controls on the machine, and.....so far, no breaks! Of course, I also quit right about then too - before I could throw the machine out the window. I went in to town and did the grocery shopping, and finished up all the other 'weekend chores'. Maybe I'll be able to finish the quilt yet!
I stopped at the quilt shop and picked up the blocks for the next month (and I haven't finished last months yet~) and they had the (almost) finished quilt up. It still needs one more border row put on, but this is what the finished quilt will look like.