Sunday, February 03, 2013

Good thing I didn't plan on completing any projects yesterday - I don't think I finished a single thing (unless you count vacuuming, and I don't, because as soon as you finish vacuuming around here, you need to start it again!)  I started the day off with migraines, and the day just never got going real well after that - I was just in a non-creative funk all day.  I started a stuffed unicorn toy (with jingle bells in it - too cute) but....didn't like what I had done so far so didn't finish it.  I'll look at it again today to see if it was just me, or if I need a different pattern.

Ralph changed his mind about the marble we were putting in the bathroom, so he took me (and
Alli) out to look at something different.  Now we are putting in marble - easier to maintain than granite according to Consumer Reports).  We were able to find one that will fit in the budget - a broken slab can be cut down, since the vanity is smaller than normal.  Usually, the granite is too expensive for what insurance will allow.  We are three weeks out for the vanity, and the carpet salesman he is ready with the carpet whenever the contractor is.  One of these days......

Since we were 'in the neighborhood', Ralph, Alli and I went over to Vic Hannan's Landscaping and talked to them about setting up the raised bed gardens in the back.  For around $200, we will have two 4.5' X 4.5' garden plots.  Sounds good to me, so once I line up some willing and cheap labor (i.e. when AJ can round up a friend or two) we'll get that delivered and set up.  The landscapers will deliver it - but I'll need some willing backs to put it in the containers (after we get them built!)  The guy at Vic Hannan's even reminded me not to plant anything until the end of March, I've got time!

My chicken project has been put on hold for the time being.  The cost of a chicken coop is going to be around $500, so with all the other expenditures around here lately, I'm going to hold off on that for a bit.  The thought of getting the garden area cleaned up for chickens is a bit daunting too.  I think at this point, we need to burn the leaves that are out there, but before we can do that, we have to clean up an area to burn in so that the rest of the garden doesn't catch on fire.  A bit more than I want to bite off this weekend!

AJ and Ralph went for a bike ride yesterday!  I think that is the first time in a couple of years that Ralph has gotten on his bike.  He has lost quite a bit of weight since the 1st of the year, and is under the weight limit of the bike again.  He went in yesterday and got new shifters and derailer for my bike and will be getting those installed.  Then we will be back in business for riding bikes.  One of my things to-do list (or two things, actually) is to ride from Shasta Dam to the Sundial Bridge (18 miles - mostly downhill) and from Westwood to Susanville on the Biz Johnson Trail (25 miles - also mostly downhill).  AJ said he would do them with me, so I better get them done before he heads off to college (if he ever picks a major.....)

No comments: