Monday, January 28, 2013

""Note - this was supposed to post on Saturday - but I forgot!!!"""  All the time references are off.""

Yesterday was a good 'run around' day.  I had a nail appointment at 11:00, so Dawn did some running around during that, and then we met up at the Beadman.  I was looking for a nice black pendant to go on a necklace I had started, and couldn't find anything I wanted at Joanne's or Walmart.  Still, I couldn't find anything at The Beadman either.  On to Michael's!  There, I found two - it figures!  Now I need to make another necklace so I can wear both stones.  The necklace is crocheted from 'ladder' yarn that I got in Reno at Ben Franklin's (before they closed) - 5 strands tied together.  So simple, but very pretty and unusual.




As part of our running around yesterday, Dawn and I stopped by a consignment furniture store.  I'm looking for a more elegant way to store my crafting supplies, specifically my quilt stuff.  I don't know a good way to deal with my crochet stuff - I have too much!  I found a pretty set of drawers, but.....I don't know that it is exactly what I want.  I'm still deciding on that part.  But....while I was looking for that, I found something I didn't know I was looking for.  I found, for lack of a better term, a jewelry armoire.   It is about 3 feet high by 18-24 inches (I didn't measure it, really!) and the top lifts up - and has a storage for 5 rows of rings.  The doors open, and there are several hooks for necklaces, and there are 5 drawers for storing more jewelry.  A link to a picture of it is here.  I decided I really didn't need it - and it was $199.00.  I did want more storage, and the piece I was looking at was $169.00.  Dawn and I decided to 'think about' it some more, and headed home.

While Dawn and I were out, the contractor stopped by.  Ralph and I needed to go pick out carpet and tile for the guesthouse.  (Hmmm....while we're out, want to stop by the consignment store and take a look and see what you think?)  We looked at carpet - and picked out a very nice flecked darker beige - it should hide everything!.  When we went to look at tile (the old counter top was done in brown tile) the salesman suggested instead that we look at marble.  It would hold up better, look more modern, and come in about the same price as tile.  Since I really hate the grout issue in the kitchen, I was good with it.  We will have to make sure the contractor can get it in at his budget with the insurance company, but if so, that is one step closer!  (Ralph said the contractor said he will have to build a new vanity for the bathroom - they don't make them that size, and it will be 4 weeks out for that - bummer!!!)  the counter top should go very nicely with the floor tile that is in the bathroom.  We'll see!!

Ralph and I stopped by the consignment shop, and I showed him the set of drawers.  Here is a link to them: antique dresser.  Pretty!  He was pretty non-committal about them - he agreed they were pretty and a good price, if that was what I wanted.  I still don't know!  I showed him the jewelry armoire, and he was much more interested in it!  (He was also very interested in an antique desk (desk) - and I don't blame him - I want it too!)  After we got in yesterday, we decided that he just might stop by today and see if they would take a bit less for the armoire.  It will probably follow him home.  I don't think the desk will - it is just a bit out of budget right now, but....it sure is nice.  I think all those little drawers made Ralph's heart go pitty-pat - Mr. OCD!)


Here is what I have done on Mom's doily so far.  It is coming along very nicely.  I still have a ways to go (and the rows take longer to do as you go around) but I'm happy with it so far.


I don't know if you can see the textures in it or not, but there are crossed drop stitches on the corners and dropped stitches on the straight part of the row.



The end is in sight!  I have (almost) all the pieces done for my faux fox fur.  I am purposefully not doing the tail until I get it all put together so I can put my hand inside the body if I need it.  (Really - that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it - I mean "story" - not excuse!)   I plan on putting it together today, maybe while watching a good movie on TV - maybe!  I'm glad I got it to this point. It really will be cute, if I can get the ears on right.  They hold all the personality of the fox, so....they need to go on just right.




No comments: