Friday, January 25, 2013

The last two days haven't been as productive as Tuesday was, but....it is vacation after all.  I did actually make a name tag for my Thimbleberries club (I was supposed to make it last year, but didn't get around to it).  This was another first for me - the pattern they handed out (I didn't have to use it, but I couldn't think of one on my own) needed me to create a template out of cardboard and cut the pieces out.  My first attempt at making a template (last year, when I first started quilting) didn't work too well, but this time, it seems to have worked just fine.  The flower is made from scraps of the quilts from last year, and interfacing scraps from my bag.  I've had to pay a quarter each month I went to Thimbleberries that I didn't have a name tag, so this just saved me $3.00 for the year!!!  (Good thing we don't count the cost of the hours we put into these things - the scraps were cheap, but it took me a while!!)


I also got my last quilt ready to sew the binding on.  I haven't started hand sewing it yet - I really want to get that done this weekend.  But, I have other things I want to get done this weekend as well - we'll see what wins out!

Poor Jasper looked like she tried to swallow a golf ball yesterday, and got hit in the head with the club, too.  Yesterday morning, she started rubbing her face with her paw and rubbing it against the couch.  When I took a look, her eye was swollen.  Poor thing!  I didn't see anything in the eye, so I thought she probably got something in it, and it irritated the eye, but had come out.  About an hour later, her left side of her face was swollen.  Her top lip looked like she was hiding a golf ball in it, and her eye was swollen half closed.  Oh no - it was getting worse, and quickly!  I called and cancelled my nail appointment (my manicurist is a dog person, so she completely understood!) and took Jasper to the vet.  Long story short - some eye drops, two shots, one antihistamine and one cortisone, and $144.00 later, she is doing much better.  The vet had no good idea what happened.  If it was a different time of the year, it would have been a classic case of a bee sting, but....no bees!  Not what I had planned for the morning, but.....it all worked out.

It has been a while since I crocheted a doily, and I decided it was time!  So, when I went up to Mom's last weekend, I took along some thread and a book of doilies.  (Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies by Patricia Kristoffersen - and they are gorgeous!)  While I was there, Mom picked out one she wanted (after she changed her mind a few times - even after I started one - too late then!)  I got what I think of as the hard part done last night.  It is a doily that requires lots of counting - not always my strong point.  I should be good to go from this point on without having to count every stitch -  we'll see.  I'm sure she throw something in while I'm distracted, and I'll have to rip out and start a row or two over.

I also started another project that I didn't realize I was quite so far behind on.  I have tried to keep up with real photo albums.  Rather than just keeping digital copies of photos, I've had prints made and put them in a photo album.  I thought I had done it fairly recently, but....time flies!  I went through yesterday and pulled prints for 2010, had them printed at Wal-Mart, and put them in a photo album!  Now, for 2011 and 2012.  Maybe next week?  It was fun looking at the old pictures - 2010 is when we got both of the kittens, and they were so cute when they were little!  It was also the year of AJ's Eagle Project, the year I hiked up to Castle Crags and the first trip to Whiskeytown Falls.

No comments: