Sunday, December 09, 2012

What a full day yesterday was!  It was the last day of my quilting club for the year, and they auctioned off items that had been made as 'extra projects' over the year (like I had time to do anything extra - I didn't even get the last project done!  But....I did finish three of them - Yes!!) and quilting patterns and material.  During the year, we earned 'Thimbleberry Bucks' for bringing in our project, doing extra items, and bringing in items for show-and tell.  I spend part of an evening last week searching for all of my Bucks from the year.  I'm sure I have more than what I found, but.....they are still hiding!  I dug out what I could find, and then joined forces with Meredith.  Neither of us had a lot of Bucks, but together, she was able to win a table topper quilt that one of the members had done over the year.  I need to get a picture of it - it is beautiful (and much better than what either of us can make at this time)  She put it out yesterday with her Christmas stuff.  Pretty!!!  I also picked up the last of the material for the Christmas quilt - I haven't touched the last set!

After quilt club, I ran home (after a quick trip to the store) and started baking cookies.  Around 2:00, the Derby and Fisher clans showed up to decorate sugar cookies and make jewelry.  In the past, I had the girls over as part of a group of AJ's friends, and they decorated cookies and made ornaments.  Over the years, the group dwindled down, as AJ's friends got older, they lost interest in making ornaments (though the still liked eating the cookies).  Last year, I skipped it all together.  

At Halloween, we got together for Meredith's and Veronica's Mom's birthday, the girls asked if they could come over this year for cookies.  The Derby's moved to Paradise several years ago, so to work with their schedule, we decided on yesterday as 'the day'.  Lord help me, I wasn't ready for Christmas yet!!  I did get the house decorated last weekend, but that was about all that I got done.  I planned on getting a couple of batches of cookies made during the week, but here I was Saturday afternoon, baking cookies!  I did get the sugar cookies baked Friday night, but that was all.  Yesterday, I got chocolate chip, peanut butter, and macaroon cookies baked before 2:00 (okay - the macaroons were still baking when they got here, but they were almost done!)

Since "the girls" are now young adults (Carolyn is AJ's age, Emma will be 18 in a few weeks, and Rosemary is driving now!!!!) I decided to get out my jewelry stuff for them, and they could make presents for their moms.  Then, the moms decided to come over too, so.....we all made our own presents!  Emma has beaded before, so she was a lot of help showing how to work the wire, etc.  I think everyone had a great time, and they all went home with some pretty earrings and bracelets.

After they left (5:15 or so) I rushed in and changed clothes, met them back at Meredith's house at 6:00, and went to Shasta High School's Madrigal Dinner.  It was wonderful!  It is at the Pilgrim's Church, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and the acoustics are fantastic!  Tirza's (a former co-worker of Veronica and Meredith, and also of Ralph - I've know her for years!) daughter was the "Queen" and so the tickets we got (my ticket was a birthday present from V & M - awesome!) were through her, and....we sat at the head table.  At the end of the program, Tirza was 'knighted' by her daughter as a thank you for all the work she has done over the years for the program.  (Duchess of Culinary Procurement and Coordination or something like that - too cute!) Again, Awesome!!  Here is a picture of Amanda, the Queen (and the King of course :) )

Part of the cast.  As Queen, Amanda tried out for the part in August, and was responsible for practice sessions, and a lot of the coordination of efforts - amazing experience for a senior in high school!  She also has a beautiful voice (as did all of the troop.)



Part of the play - bringing in the Boar's Head



The singing was awesome, literally.  The sound of Madrigal music in the church was beautiful.  (Not that impressed with some of the instrumental sounds, but the singing made up for it!)  The dinner was good - especially considering the number of people being fed by high school kids dressed in period costume.  The servers kept us entertained when there wasn't actual performances gong on with really bad jokes.  I was constantly amazed at the poise these 'kids' had.  What a great experience for them.  

After all that, I got home after 10:00, and, needless to say, didn't go to bed until 11:30.  What a great day!!

No comments: