Sunday, October 28, 2012

I shot my first zombie last night.  It was definitely a night of firsts!  

Veronica and Meredith had a birthday party for their mother last night.  Gwen has always gone to a haunted house for her birthday, so last night, Meredith, Gwen and I took the 'kids' to Hawes Ranch.  (I say 'kids' because AJ and Carolyn are 19, Emma is 17 and Rosemary is 16.  They aren't kids anymore!!)  Emma was selling VIP tickets as a fundraiser for U Prep.  I didn't realize the VIP tickets let you cut in line - and the lines were a mile long!  Definitely the way to go!

AJ, Dawn and I headed over for BBQ hamburgers at Meredith's at 5:30 yesterday, and then around 7:15 or so, we headed off to the haunted house / corn maze.  Dawn stayed behind to watch the Giants game with the other adults.  (Go Giants!)  

Our first attraction was the zombie shoot.  The VIP line had a dozen or so people in it.  The other line???? I have no idea how long it was (100+??), but I would guess that they were waiting much longer than an hour for the trip.  We climbed aboard a flat bed trailer filled with hay bales and a tractor pulled us out to another flat bed trailer.   This one had paint guns mounted along the edge of the trailer.  We were provided with 100 paint balls, and then driven around the property (which is huge!) with zombies jumping out of the brush at us.  Some of those guys were having way too much fun scaring people!  It was a beautiful night for a drive - almost a full moon, and the temps were around 65 degrees.  Perfect!  Then, the zombies attacked.  That did distract me from the scenery for a while.

The next attraction - the 'Field of Screams' - a haunted corn maze.  According to the website, it has 1/3 mile of trail, but it sure felt longer!  Of course, when you are walking in the dark, with fog everywhere (they did a great job with the fog machines!) and people keep jumping out of the corn at you - it felt like forever!  The 'ghoulies' were great.  They aren't allowed to touch us.  So....they just hid around corners, stepped out in front of you, screamed behind you, etc.  We about lost Meredith a few dozen times.  She never seemed to catch on that they were hiding around corners, behind doors, etc.  Good thing she has a strong heart!  The creepiest part was when they would infiltrate the group in the fog.  You would be walking along in fog so thick you couldn't really see the person in front of you, and they they would turn around and be wearing a horrendous mask.  We had a group of 7, so you didn't really notice that the group grew by one (or two).  All in all - a fun evening.  I'm glad I went (I didn't originally plan to go.)

If I ever wonder why I don't get a lot of crafting time....I just have to look around.  I went to sit down the other night to work on something, and my spot was taken.


I looked again, and not only was my spot taken to sit, but so was my foot space, and pretty much my head space.


I finished my bookmarks for work yesterday.  I went to take pictures, and...I had help.  I know - a surprise, right?  Not really.  (That is Tank in the background - two shining eyes!)



This was my first try (actually my second - the first was so bad I just tossed it).  I used the thread that I had on hand, and it was way too light in color.  I also had issues with the shape.  When I asked Alex if he could tell what it was supposed to be, he answered "Pizza?".  He knew what it was supposed to be, but he was just messing with me.  Ralph was in the kitchen at the time, and didn't realize AJ was kidding, and so when I asked him if he could tell what it was, he asked if I was going to put pepperoni on it.  I quit!


I went to get darker thread, and, of course, couldn't find any.  I ended up using the thread for needlepoint (I think that is what you would us it for - it was with the embroidery thread at Michaels)  Much better!


Here is the group of them:


I also found the cutest idea for making little monsters.  I made up two yesterday.  IF I get all 7 done that I need, and IF I have time,m I will embroider faces on them.  If not, they will stay as little ghosties!!


No comments: