Sunday, September 09, 2012

How quickly things change.  It seems like just yesterday the boys were little, but yesterday was Dallas's going away party.  He leaves Tuesday for Pittsburgh, PA.  My babies are growing up!  (and he's not even technically mine - Margene and I were trying to think of a name for how we are related - our boys think they are brothers, what does that make us??)

I went empty handed to my quilt class yesterday.  I have not touched the sewing machine in over a month.  I still have fabric from the last class that I haven't even cut out yet, much less pieced together.  I have the last quilt pinned and ready to quilt, but not much done on it.  I'm falling behind!  The instructor scared me about next year.  She said she will like it much better - it is still four projects, but they are bigger project.   She didn't think that these little ones were a lot of fun to do, and she had no good use for the small projects except as gifts.  Bigger?  I'm in trouble!  I may be talking to Meredith about splitting the class - she do two of the quilts, and I do two.  If I can't finish four 'small' projects, how am I going to finish four 'bigger' projects?  We'll see - it's been a fun experiment.  I've always wanted to quilt something, and now I have!

I think I found a new pattern to use the yarn I bought in Crescent City.  I started a scarf in it, and it was looking pretty good.  About 12 inches into the scarf, there was a knot in the thread, and they knotted it to a completely different color in the shading!  How could they do that?  This was not cheap thread!!  I cut off where I was working, and was trying to figure out where I wanted to go from there - start over?  Find a spot in the thread that matched up to where I was so I continue without such a blatant color change?  Write a nasty letter to the manufacturer?  Then, yesterday, I got a new crochet magazine that had a scarf that is gorgeous, and I think the rest of the yarn will be perfect for it.  Not only that, but it is a new technique for me - something new and beautiful!  I started a swatch last night just to try out the pattern, and even in Red Heart yarn it is pretty!

Speaking of working the swatch - I did that last night while I was house-sitting.  Meredith called yesterday, and her dad has taken a turn for the worse and her husband and daughter were on their way down to Castor Valley, could AJ house-sit for them?  Well, not really - he was going to be at Dallas's party last night (Margene planned an all-nighter for the boys - and there were about 8 of then there yesterday, so it could go on all night!) but I could!  AJ went over with me yesterday afternoon to show me what needed to be fed (three fish tanks and two dogs).  I went over last night about 8:30 and fed everyone, and then sat and talked to the dogs for a while while I worked up my swatch.  Sofie talks back, so it was fun.  They don't take a lot of upkeep.  They would love to go for a walk, I'm sure, but they are fine without one, too.

No comments: