Saturday, May 05, 2012

Happy birthday Allison!  My baby is 15 today!  What a thought!  Though there are some days I feel my age (this week was one of them) I can't believe how fast the time has gone by.  Maybe if Alli was 'normal' I would have an easier time believing she was 15....I don't know.  She was having an off day this week, and yelled at me on the bus and stamped her foot, so....she must be 15 - the teenage hormones are running rampant!  She was so funny - I think she stamped her foot at me because I laughed when she yelled at me - she actually growled rather than yelled, but she was just so cute when she was mad!!! And that made her madder!  Yep, definitely teenage angst going on here.

Once again, the week flew by.  I had a medical procedure (that darn colonoscopy - I told you that I felt my age this week.  At my last doctor's appointment, Dr. S told me I needed one, now that I was 50!)  Dr. D told me after the procedure that everything looked good and he would see me in 10 years, so....I'm done with that.  Since I had that on Friday, I missed Thursday afternoon and Friday at work, so I was going in early and staying late to get caught up (and maybe ahead??) before I left.  That pretty much killed the week for me.  

In my spare time, I was trying to get that darn afghan finished.  It still isn't done!  If I could have stayed awake a few more minutes last night, I could have had it almost finished, but I ran out of yarn (of course) for the green side of the fringe.  I could have finished the blue side, but....I gave up and went to bed.  If everything had gone smoothly yesterday, I could have gotten it done (except for the missing yarn).  I spent quite a bit of time yesterday saying "well, that didn't work the way I wanted it to."  This is the first time I have used fleece as the backing.  I thought it would be faster, and it may have been, but the mechanics of it threw me.  Of course, part of that was my stupidity, not mechanics, but whatever!  

I decided to put the backing on in a way to leave the edgings out, not turning inside of the blanket.  That way, I could use my brand new "skip" rotary cutter and make holes along the edge and put in fringe.  That is all well and good - until I used my brand new skip rotary cutter, and for some unknown reason, didn't take the old blade out.  What?  I needed to take the old one out?  I had done several test strips to make sure it was going to work, really!  I have no idea why, when I went to work on the afghan, I put the rotary cutter together like that!!!  OMG!  I spent the next hour or so ripping out the seam I had put in so I could re-cut, re-seam and then try the skip cutter again, solo.  It worked just like my practice strips then, imagine!  It really did work out well, I think.  Final pircutres when I get it completely finished.

Last weekend, I managed to get some flowers planted:



Impatients in the front flower bed.


Petunias and Flocks (I think that is what they were - now I forget!) in the front flower bed.


My Columbine is blooming!


My Sterling roses


I planted Impatients around the pool the weekend before




My Scentamental roses


My Lincoln roses


My petunias that wintered over by the guest house.

No comments: