Sunday, January 15, 2012

I finished another project!  (and started a new one, of course!)  Here is a doily that I've had started since October.  I could not find beads that I liked for the outside, so...here are beads that are so-so.  They are larger than I wanted, and the doily is just a bit gaudy with them.  But......I am one more project closer to catching up with my WIP's.




My new project.....I went to a quilting class yesterday with a friend.  M has taken a quilting class before, but it was several years ago, and I have never taken one.  We've both done a bit of sewing in our youth, so it isn't all a foreign concept, but....it's a bit daunting when facing the other ladies that have been quilting for years.  There are about 25 people in the class, and M and I are the only 'first timers' there.  The group was very encouraging, and a lot of fun.  Even if I don't get 4 quilts done this year (the goal of the group) I will have had a very entertaining Saturday morning once a month.  Here is a copy of the book we are quilting from, and our first project is the top left quilt.  (We are also doing the top right, the middle right and bottom left, I think)



It is a nationwide club (I had no idea - I thought I was signing up for beginning quilting classes at the local quilt shop!) and the book/quilts changes every year.  This year, they are doing four smaller quilts, and you get enough fabric each meeting to do the 'assigned' blocks.  It really does break even a large quilt into manageable portions.  One lady brought in her finished quilt from last year, and it was huge.  (I felt a lot better when I found out that she was the only one that had finished it!)  Here is a picture of just the quilt we are doing now:


M and I decided to go in together to buy our quilting 'stuff'.  We needed a mat, a rotary cutter and a ruler.  We both had coupons for 50% off one item at Joannes, so she bought the mat and cutter ($46.00 for the set) and I bought the ruler and thread ($16.00 for the ruler).  We came out pretty good in the end - probably $18.00 for each of us, rather than $70.00 each.  She came over last night after dinner to cut out the fabric.  I couldn't wait that long to play with my new toys, so I had already cut mine out.  (I did watch a couple of videos on using the rotary cutter before I started.)  I had no problem with the cutter, but trying to figure out how to use the ruler was a bit more problematic.  (Suggestion #1 - don't  try something new when you are already tired!  Poor M had already put in a long day, so was completely pooped by 9:30 last night, and still had more pieces to cut.)  We both have our piece cut and are ready to sew!  One more unfinished project!

No comments: