Friday, November 25, 2011

Good thing we decided to have our own Thanksgiving dinner this year.  Ralph tried a new (to us) Alton Brown recipe, and the timing was a bit off.  The recipe says to cook for 4 hours at 400 degrees.  It was done in 2 hours, even after he dropped the temp down.  The taste was marvelous, but the skin was a bit too dark!  I did manage to get the rest of dinner ready while the bird was resting, so it worked out.  My biggest problem was that I had just eaten lunch at 1:00, and wasn't ready for dinner at 3:00!  Not that that stopped me, as I was still able to eat turkey, and dressing, and mashed potatoes, and gravy, and rolls, and....Yum!  (I did save the pumpkin cheesecake for later in the evening.)  Now we are ready for cooking dinner tomorrow for the rest of the family.  I think Ralph is researching a better cooking time/temp.  The brine that he used was good, so he will keep that part of the recipe.  I found a 60 minute dinner roll recipe and tried it out as well - which turned out quite tasty - even though it did take me more than 60 minutes.  Maybe if I hadn't been trying to cook everything at the same time I could have done in in 60 minutes, but....it still wasn't very long for fresh rolls.

No comments: