Monday, September 06, 2010

I did it! I actually made it up the Castle Crags trail! I started it last year, but didn't go all the way to the top. It was a harder climb than Lassen, I think. The trail itself was trickier at least! Patti and Collin came along with me for the hike. Poor Collin - he was supposed to have a friend along to hike with, so he wouldn't be stuck with the 'old ladies', but, as we were on our way up to the trail, the friend got a call from his dad, and he couldn't go. We got a bit later start than we planned because we had to take him home before we could head out of town! Collin got bored pretty quickly with my pace, but he put a good face on it. He did try to convince us a few times that we had reached the top already, or that we were on the wrong trail and had to go home.



Here is a sample switchback:


The views were worth it though!



Patti actually checked her e-mails while we were resting! We started calling her 'crackberry' and made her turn her phone off!





Another shot of the 'trail'


The view from the top!


Since we got a late start (we went up after church) the parking lot was almost full when we got to the Park. For a second, I thought we weren't going to be able to make the climb! Luckily, we had a spot (but I to show my 'number' from the entrance to be able to park, and the spot was small enough and close enough to the edge of that Patti decided it was a good thing I was driving - it was a bit on the small side!) The guide that parked us asked what we were planning to do, and when he heard we were hiking to the dome, he told us we probably should just try for Indian Springs - it was a little more than half way, and was an easier and quicker hike. Since he looked at his watch when he said it, I have to think that it was because of the time (after 2:00) rather than looking at the two of us and deciding we couldn't make the dome trail! It did take us a good 4 hours to hike it up and back, so he was probably right to be concerned!


Some more trail shots The ones below are of one corner that I thought was hard going up - going down was worse!


The shadows starting to fall on the trip down.

Then, after we got home, and after dinner, the real excitement began! Koori barked at the front window, so I looked out, and saw a lot of cars in front of the house - someone was having a party! I mentioned it to Ralph, and said that the way someone hit their brake lights, I thought I saw flashing lights! He went outside, and came back - they were flashing lights - the house across the street and two doors down was on fire! The house is between Dallas' and Seth's - two friends of AJ's. Everyone got out okay, but the house was destroyed. According to what I heard last night, the owner was burning some papers in the fireplace, and it fell into the living room, and quickly spread. Here's what our street looked like (after the fire was out)

No comments: