Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yesterday was a great day off! I spent the morning cleaning up the garage(I have 9 boxes of stuff to send to UMW for a rumage sale) and straightening out my yarn/thread stash, and then AJ and the dogs and I went for a hike up to Whiskeytown Falls. These are falls that were 'lost' for 60+ years and were just rediscovered in 2006. It was my first hike up into them - 1.7 miles up. It was a fair hike - I stopped to 'take pictures' frequently (and catch my breath!)


The first pictures are taken from the Whiskeytown Visitor's Center. The trailhead is 8 miles further up Highway 299, and then another 3 1/2 miles up the mountain. AJ wasn't really that thrilled to be going with me on the hike, but....he did it just for me! AJ got out of school at 1:30, so it was after 2:00 before we got up on the trail, and the afternoon light was beautiful!

The hike is notated as a 'moderate to difficult' hike. The hike itself wasn't too bad - a couple of steep hills is all - but boy are they steep! Some of the difficulty is the narrowness of the trail - check out the bridge across the creek! The dogs were still very excited to be out and a bit rambunctious at this point, so we were careful to go over one at a time. On the way back, they were no problem at all!



This is one of the 'steep' parts - and AJ and Jasper ran up it. AJ spent a lot of his time waiting for me to catchup.

No comments: