Monday, October 26, 2009

On our last trip to Susanville, Mom sent us home with a bag of apples from her tree. So far, Dawn made a pie, and I have made fried apples a couple of times. Yesterday, I decided to try my hand at a little fancier dessert. I dug out my recipe for an apple braid - still not that fancy, but very tasty! As soon as I started moving around in the kitchen, Allison decided there must be food involved, and came to supervise. The apple braid calls for a can of refrigerated crescent rolls - you unroll the whole thing and then use a rolling pin to seal it into one piece. Alli was so excited when I laid out the dough that I thought she must have done something like this in school. I know they cook in class as part of their life skills, and she was ready to help!

I let Alli "help" me use the rolling pin, and then it was time for the apples. I got out my trusty apple peeler, corer, slicer machine, and put Alli to work again. She wasn't a lot of help. She grabbed the apples as soon as they came off the machine! When I shooed her out of my way, she ran over and grabbed one of my waiting apples and started munching on it. I had to get extra apples for her to eat while I finished fixing mine. This is the girl that usually eats apples grudgingly! Grandma's apples are the best!

No comments: