Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What a day yesterday! Work was busy - as usual. I went in early and took a short lunch so I could go to AJ's soccer game. When I got to U-Prep, there wasn't a game on the field. There were a lot of blue uniforms, and they were taking pictures, so I figured the game got canceled. I went back to the car, and waited, and waited and waited. I started checking after about a half hour, and....lo and behold....it was the 8th grade team out on the field, not AJ's team. I have no idea where AJ is. I eventually drove around to the fields that I knew they had played on in the past, but still no AJ. By 6:00, I was frantic. If there was a game, it started at 4:00, and they should be done by 5:45, and AJ wasn't answering his phone yet.

After a dozen + calls to home, Ralph dug out a cell number from an old e-mail for one of the moms, and called. They were at a different field, the game started late, and they were still playing. By this time, it was too late, I was past mad! I drove over to the field, and, of course, couldn't find a parking spot on the first pass, and had to circle around. By the time I got back, the field was clear - no game, no kids. Did I mention I was already past mad? I drove around again and this time, spotted the coach as I drove by, and he told me AJ was probably walking back to the school with the other guys. As I was driving, AJ texted me. "Where are you?". Did I mention I was already past mad? Poor AJ.

I only got to yell at him for a couple of minutes though. After we were in the car and headed home (but still downtown) he casually mentioned that he lost his peripheral vision out of his left eye during the game. I immediately drove him to my favorite walk-in clinic, but they closed at 6:00 (it was 6:45 by this time) so we went to my second favorite clinic that closed at 7:00. The doctor there could not see any gross abnormalities, but recommended strongly that we go to the ER. We got to the ER around 7:15, and saw the Emergency Doctor at 8:30 - not too bad for ER. He also couldn't see anything, but he called on Opthomologist, and he wants to see AJ at 8:00 this morning. After we got out of the ER, I had to feed the poor kid. He had played most of the game (and I missed it!) and it was 10:00. We were both starving! So, it was a rough day!

No comments: