Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I hate the first day of school! It is always so unorganized! (Especially when there is a child involved that can't talk!) Yesterday was Alli's first day of school, and, even though I am on vacation, I decided to let the bus pick her up and take her to school, just to get the routine started. Her teacher has worked with Allison before, so I wasn't too worried about Alli. I had even talked to her teacher the week before. The one thing missing - transportation. I had talked to the head of Transportation a couple of weeks ago. The 'orders' that she had for Alli did not mention her daycare, and she knew that Alli was usually picked up and dropped off at daycare during the school year, and called to confirm that I did want Transportation to stop at daycare. (I wrote specific instructions on her summer school application about the daycare pickup/drop off!) We both thought things were handled! On Friday, I had not heard about the drop off/pick up times from Transportation, so I called. They had no record of Alli even riding the bus!

I refused to panic, since the person I had talked to early was not in, and she usually has everything under control, so.....I waited until Monday morning (before 6:00 a.m.) to call. There was a reasonable explanation - Enterprise High School Transportation was picking Alli up, so the department I called had no records. Another girl at Alli's daycare will be in Enterprise High School next year, so the busing was for her, but since they were going to the same place, they would get Alli too. Except they didn't. I called at 8:30 to see what time the bus picked up, and found out that Alli was still waiting at daycare. Sandy already had everything under control, since she knew the whole Enterprises Transportation system personnel, it seems. Her husband was taking Alli to class, and she had already called out the Marines to get the bus problem fixed. She evidently has had problems frequently through the years with her daughter and EHS Transportation. Thanks to Sandy (she pulled in a few favors, and it helps if you know the department manager!), the whole thing was resolved, and Alli has a bus to pick her up. I hate the first day of school!

No comments: